lunes, 7 de junio de 2010

BEST WEEKEND!

Ok so this was the craziest, best, busiest weekend! I will honestly never forget all the many adventures we had this weekend.

Ok so last Friday during class my teacher literally got through 10 pages of the book haha... we are never going to finish, but thats fine with me! We listened to Peruvian music for a long time though, which was definitely nice! Class went by so slowly though because I was so excited for our adventures!

My group consisted of 13 people... It was the perfect number, and we split into 2 groups to leave. I was in the earlier group with Kaitlin, Ginny, Carlin, Gabby and Shelly. We all ate quickly, dropped off our school stuff at Carlin and Ginnys house because they live really close, and then we took a taxi to the bus station. We spent 22 soles for a 5 hour bus ride to Paracas! It was such a good deal.. thats less than 10 dollars haha. So we eventually arrive in Pisco and take a taxi to Paracas. Wow, that was an advenutre in itself!!

Eventually we arrive to a REALLY nice hostal in Paracas... its SUCh a cute beach town, and the hostal was a lot nicer than some hotels I have stayed in. The people were incredibly friendly, and it was 10 by the time we got there, and so they recommended a good, cheap place to eat by the water. For just 8 soles, we all got a heaping plate of rice, plantains and eggs. So good! And mostly safe I have found out! About 30 minutes later, we paid the hostal people to pick up the other 7 people in Pisco so that they wouldnt be so confused like we were. Finally we all are together and decide what to do the next day. And then we pass out!

For 5 soles, we wake up for breakfast at 7. We have really good coffee, fresh rolls, butter and jam. We also have fruit juice, which I pass on because I think that makes my stomach hurt... but regular orange juice also makes my stomach hurt, so that makes sense. We woke up so early because Paracas is famous for its sea lions and penguins! We signed up for a boat tour at 8, but it was too choppy they said. I was so disappoitned! I really wanted to see them! I shoul dnote that iwas incredibly warm and sunny and wonderful. While we were waiting to see if it would be ok to go out, we shopped. Boy did we shop! So many cute shops, but I couldnt buy anything big because I literally had no room in my bags to take back things haha. Eventually, we eat again and decide we should move on... we pay the hostal guy 20 soles to take us to our next destination .. Huacachina! Its called an oasis and was about an hour away. WOW THIS PLACE WAS INCREDIBLE. We immediately sign up for sand duning and sand boarding. BEST experience of my life. Imagine looking around and everywhere you look is sand dunes and sunshine. I felt like I was in ALaddin... CRAZY. mom, you wouldnt have liked the sand buggying... haha I think i was lifted more out of my seat than I was actually in my seat! The hills were crazy large... it was insane! Sand boarding was so much fun too! They had us practice by going down on our stomachs first, but then we stood up! One girl got a good amount of pictures, so I cant wait to see how those turned out! On the last hill, nobody would go first... haha so of cousre I did... we had to go down on our stomachs because the dune was so large... I took a picture.. it was actually insane. I was sort of scared because you couldnt really see where the hill was going... you just had to trust the workers! So I went and it was the most unbelieveable feeling... you feel lik eyoure flying!! and then it got really bumpy... so I have a couple of bruises on my hip bones, but i was lucky that i didnt get sand burn like others!
That was unbelieveable though. I will probably never again do these things! And it only cost 30 soles for all of that... which is like 10 bucks! WOW. So crazy. We took lots of pics, so I cant wait to show all of you!

So then its about 3 or 3 30 and we still havent eaten lunch. Everyone is dehydrated... since were in the desert it was very hot and sunny, and i was the only one who brought water. We wanted to check out some wineries, so we pay the sand dune people 20 soles each to take us to the grocery store to grab some grub (I got an empanada... so yummy... and a banana and a HUGE thing of water that I chugged), then to 2 wineries, a chocolate place that is famous, and finally drop us off at our hostal in Ica. (We realized its so much easier to just pay about 5 soles each more to travel together and have a concrete, safe form of transportaiton than to wing it and use taxis). The wineries were very different than in the states. I took many pictures, and it was interesting to hear all about the different wines. There is a reason that Peru is not known for its wine... wow it was not good... burned the nose and throat as it went down! At the first place, our tour guide had the best laugh... haha I actually taped him! And he spoke very good English. We got to try about 6 different wines that are very much stronger than the wines in the US... haha! Also tried Pisco straight, which is not good... It burns so badly! But Pisco sour is good! We also got to try tejas, which are famous chocolates from Ica! Then we quickly went over to the other winery because it was about to close. I tried a lot more wine, but once again.. not the best! Dad you might have like some of these... I dont know much about wine, but these were at least in huge barrels and they got teh wine out with sticks.. the guide didnt speak English, so Im sorry I dont really know what went on. Ew gross... he chugged a glass of Pisco! I cannot imagine how he did that. Finally, it was getting dark so we were off to the choclate place! It was my favorite! The tejas are so good! I like the pecans ones... they are huge chocolate pieces filled with caramel and pecans. They are delicious. I bought a box (they were pricey... 25 soles for 12) but these are known all around Peru! We also got a couple of free samples.

Finally we made it to our hostal in Ica, which was not nearly as nice as the other one, but still manageable. We quickly showered (we were still covered in sand!) then dressed to go to one of the girls host moms sisters restaurant! we waited a very long time for our food, but I tried this meat dish with rice and french fries. My stomach had been having cramping pains for the past 3 or 4 days, adn by this point I was getting concerned... that night I was sick all night... I think I got 2 hours of sleep the whole time... it was really bad... I took medicine adn that helped, but i was concerned about our bus ride back... Kaitlin is probably my closest friend on the trip and offered to pay a lot more with me to go on the more expensive bus with a bathroom on it, but I decided to suck it up. That morning around 9 we all went to explore more of ICa. I think it was Corpus Christi, so all of the Catholic school children were having a parade around the town! They were also paitingin the side walk adn it was incredible. So cool. I didnt enjoy it as much as I could ahve though because i still didnt feel well.

Finally we leave! 5 hours on the bus back home, but i was fine. As soon as i got home i ate half a box of pretzels and so much food and water i was fine but i hadnt eaten or darnk anything all day because i didnt want to get sick.
Gabby lost her passport and cell phone on this trip...... and her house key.... so i will have to deal with that today i think too

gotta go, but that was a brief summary of my weekend! it was amazing!!! Talk to you all soon... gonna be late to class!

1 comentario: