miércoles, 2 de junio de 2010

Traffic in Lima!

I just had the craziest taxi ride haha. The traffic in Lima is very efficient, but very different from what Im used to. There are taxis everywhere, and you can kind of do whatever you want... you can cut people off, there doesnt seem to be a speed limit, and there are definitely no lines or lanes. Despite it being so crazy, I have not seen an accident yet (knock on wood) and I feel completely safe in every taxi I have been in! Its so efficient! Everything here is, but I feel like we save so much time kind of going wherever we want instead of waiting at stilly things like stop lights (there are a few, but really not too many) There are also many roundabouts that are incredibly efficient. The key thing is that you have to be aggressive... there is no room for passive drivers! But you get to your destination way faster this way. It reminds me of a video game I had... crazy taxi! Thats actually a good description of it haha.

So yesterday after class some of us decided to go to China town, and it was nothing like the other China towns I have been to in the past. It was of course crazy busy, and its in central Lima so there are lots of pretty buildings all around. The companeros told us to be extra careful though, so I didnt want to take pictures of this place. There were many little stores and street vendors, but I still feel like it was a little bit overpriced. It was interesting to see a different type of China town though! Our taxi rider also warned us to be safe (he spoke some English because his son lives in New York so he is trying to learn it!)

So from China town we decided to save a lot of money by taking the bus. We ended up saving probably around 15 soles, but wowwww what an adventure!!! Gabby and I didnt know that you had to pay after you sat down... but like I said, everyone here is so friendly and patient. The person who collects the money apparently had a thick accent, so Gabby had some trouble understanding him. And then it got REALLY crowded. We got seats, but when we (haha I) started recognizing the area, we tried as politely as possible to get up, but once again you have to be assertive! It took us about an hour to get home, and it probably would have taken about 40 minutes by taxi, and we saved a lot of money so I was pleased with this! The bus stopped right in front of the Vivanda that we go to, so it was about a 2 minute walk back home!)

yesterday for dinner were these vegetable tortillas... more like vegetable omelletes! It was sooooo good. And of course we had rice. After dinner I washed the dishes as I talked to Morena! I actually put together a couple of sentences (though very slowly... its a start!) She talked a lot though, and Im getting used to how quickly she talks. Once again, very efficient! I actually like the talking fast part! haha except its hard to understand sometimes.

i dont know what well be doing today... most everyone has to write papers that are due Thursday and Friday. Luckily I dont have to write any because its very hard to be on a computer for an extended period of time, and I dont think it would be very easy to work at an internet cafe. However, Gabby has to write one and she is currently on facebook, so I might have to go to an internet cafe with her tonight so she can work on it haha. Sometimes I have to remind her to do several things for class, to have with her etc, but my sense of direction has GREATLy improved. I think I always had it somewhere in me, but it was just never forced to come out haha. And plus, since I dont know Spanish well, I am forced to pay attention to as many things as possible around me. I think it is sort of like when you lose one of your senses, the other senses become more sensitive. (if that makes sense) Since I cant understand whats going on around me so well, I have to be extra observant to everything else!

Still trying to figure out weekend plans... unfortunately I cant really plan much because all the travel websites and travel agencies are in Spanish....... haha which makes sense, but it puts a dent on what I can do! Hopefully I can just join a group doing something! If not, there is plently to do in Lima. Our professor was talking about how he wants to take us back to his hometown in Chaclocayo, so maybe we will do that some time.

Also, we have to choose the track we will be taking for the Tarma trip on June 10. Unfortunately, I am not eligible to make the 3 day trek and hiking excursion to see the natives because I dont speak Spanish (they had never told us that this was a prerequisite, but it makes sense...). But we are supposed to do many fun things throughout the trip, so I am still excited for it! All for now.. off to class!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario